In July 2009, MACY convened a group of key community leaders in the city of Marshfield to discuss the problem of prescription drug abuse and related issues. Out of this meeting, MACY’s Prescription Drug Task Force was formed. In 2012 this committee also identified heroin use as a priority and has renamed itself the Drug Task Force.
The Drug Task Force develops and implements an annual prevention plan focused on prescription drug abuse and heroin, marijuana and methamphetamine use. The Drug Task Force is currently working on the following priorities:
- Promote the public awareness campaign, Held Hostage by Heroin
- Promote the public awareness campaign, kNOw Meth campaign
- Develop and administer Community Perception Survey
- Support utilization of the Wisconsin Prescription Drug Monitoring Program
- Create treatment/recovery resources handout
- Assist law enforcement to dispose of unwanted or expired medications
- Support enhanced enforcement
- Write law enforcement briefs for the community addressing current trends
- Conduct community presentations
Prescription Drug Disposal
Dispose of unwanted, unused or expired prescription medication at a permanent prescription drug drop box:
- Marshfield Clinic Health System-Marshfield Center-Pharmacy located on first floor (1000 N. Oak Avenue, Marshfield)
- Marshfield Police Department’s permanent prescription drug drop box located in the lobby (110 W 1st Street, Marshfield). Lobby hours are M-F 8:00a.m. – 4:30p.m.
- Marshfield Clinic Health System – Central Avenue Pharmacy (630 S. Central Avenue #106, Marshfield)
Dispose used sharps at Marshfield Police Department’s sharps disposal located in the lobby (110 W 1st Street, Marshfield). Lobby hours are M-F 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
For a list of all Wood County pharmaceutical drop-off locations, click here .
Marshfield Clinic Health System and Marshfield Area Coalition for Youth partner with Marshfield Police Department to host Prescription Drug Take-Back Events. Since 2006, the Marshfield community has disposed of over 17,000 pounds of unwanted prescription medication.